Whatever you think, someone will think you should think the opposite



Whatever you think think the opposite by P. Arden. The book.
Whatever You Think Think the Opposite
I picked up Whatever You Think Think the Opposite, by Paul Arden, on a recommendation from a renowned copywriter’s website.

I’m more of a romantic fiction girl myself, so this was a bit of a departure, but in a quest to further myself and my copywriting I have committed to reading one relevant book a month.

I surprised myself by devouring it in one sitting – but then it’s that kind of book. 

More of a coffee table book (albeit a small one, and probably more at home in a creative agency’s waiting room), and is in fact, as much about the design as the text. The two work together to create the feeling of immersion in Arden’s ideas, he uses subtle persuasion; showing not telling.



But then that’s his modus operandi, isn’t it? With a background at Saatchi & Saatchi it is perhaps unsurprising that his book is a lesson in selling your ideas as much as it is about sharing the ideas themselves.

The basic premise is that the best decisions are not the boring ones that everyone makes, but the ones that turn things on their head, and tackle a problem from another angle. Yes these are the riskier choices, and sometimes they may go wrong, but when they succeed, the results can be spectacular.

Ultimately you are more likely to be remembered for what you do rather than what you don’t do. And it is those who are brave enough to ‘rebel’ and take risks, come what may, who forge a path for themselves, and often for the rest of us as well.

Am I now thinking the opposite of what I was thinking?


I’m not sure it has fundamentally changed the way I think, but in my current situation, with my copywriting training often taking me firmly outside my comfort zone, I felt it supported the decision I made.

The marketing psychologists say that buyers buy for emotional reasons and then look to justify it, maybe this is the same phenomenon. I finally made the jump to do something I’ve been thinking about for ages, and am now constantly looking for reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I felt the first half of the book provided that.

However, my feelings changed when I reached page 110.

I read, ‘Don’t go to university,’ and, ‘...at twenty-eight it is a bit late to find out you are in the wrong job.’

Well, why don’t I just give up now then? Hang on while I look on Right Move to see if any small, dark caves have been recently vacated.

I tried to work out why this annoyed me so much:
  • Was it because the book that I felt was offering a crutch to my uncertainty had just turned 360 degrees and dealt me a near-fatal blow?

  • Was it because this part seemed so against the ethos of the book? The one that suggested you should embrace rejection and persist? Whose audience, I wouldn’t mind betting, averaged at least 28?

  • Or, was it purely because I don’t like being told what to do? Particularly so directly, and, not least because I chose the opposite and have now gone full circle to start something I could have probably done in the first place, thus making him RIGHT! In my case.
And that’s the point isn’t it?

In. My. Case.


Everyone is different; everyone’s choices are made from within the confines of background, opportunity, fortune, and to an extent the decisions that have gone before.

If I knew then what I know now, maybe I wouldn’t have gone to uni., although it was a lot of fun so maybe I would. But either way, 13 years down the line I cannot alter the decision I made. I can only build on it.

People don’t like to be given generalised messages about what they should or shouldn’t do, because there is no reference to ability and circumstance – is this something that I could actually do? And what is more, the thought of not being able to do whatever it is – whether due to a) Health, b) Money, c) Having already done the opposite, or a million other reasons, leads to resentment of those who are able.

And that brings me to Kirstie Allsopp, and THAT thing she said recently – you must have heard the uproar:

“I don’t have a girl, but if I did I’d be saying ‘Darling, do you know what? Don’t go to university. Start work straight after school, stay at home, save up your deposit – I’ll help you, let’s get you into a flat. And then we can find you a nice boyfriend and you can have a baby by the time you’re 27.'”

Yes she’s from a privileged background and may, I stress may as I am loathe to make assumptions about someone I know little about, have had slightly more freedom of choice as a result of this. And yes, of course many of us need to make difficult decisions to make sure we are still turning an income through our child-bearing years. But we must not forget that Kirstie is, in fact, a hard-working mum just like many of us.

Surely, in the end it comes down to this.

Just because women could now go to uni., become CEO of a FTSE100 company, or drive a Formula 1 car, does not mean that they should have to want all of these things.

And just because, due to my circumstances (whatever they may be), I am not in a position to choose a particular option, does not mean I should berate, or worse, abuse those who can and do.

Ultimately, the choices we make in life, and in business, have to be the right ones for us given what we want, but also what our circumstances will allow. And as our circumstances evolve, so do the choices available to us.

However unfair, that’s just the way it is.

We can make the riskiest choice, or the bravest choice, or the choice we are told to make, or even the one we are told not to make, but at the end of the day we have to make a choice based on a personal set of circumstances and beliefs that are as unique to you as they are to me.

If Kirstie’s ‘daughter’ wants to put children before uni or career, and is in a position to do this, that’s great. She may later discover that this was a good choice, or a poor choice. But more than likely she will take all the little signals along the way that suggest to her she was right, and use them to post-rationalise her decision.

Just as all the people who made the same decision as her will be taking what was said as proof that they, too, did the right thing.

Meanwhile, all the people who feel they could not have this opportunity (whether or not they actually wanted it!), will resent their lack of choice, and thus berate Kirstie’s ‘daughter’ for the decision that she felt was right in her case.

And this is what I take from the book


You have the freedom to choose your own path, take risks where you feel them to be appropriate FOR YOU and then stand by these decisions, dust yourself off when they fail and go back to the drawing board. 

Focus on forging YOUR OWN path in the way that’s right for YOUR circumstances, and stop giving a damn about what everyone else is thinking and doing.



"The world is what you think of it. So think of it differently and your life will change."
P. Arden, Whatever You Think Think the Opposite, p. 136 


If you have any recommendations for marketing / copywriting/ career change books I should add to my reading list I would love to hear them below.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wondering how it all started? Read my first post: CA – Copywriters Anonymous

Follow my #copywritingjourney on Twitter: @weenixlen


No comments:

Post a Comment