Tackling a burgeoning Twitter obsession - The 5 commandments


Part One: 12 Noon


I have a day off today.
Checking Twitter on to do list
To Do List

I was looking forward to spending it studying and writing. Perhaps even sitting in a cafe in manner of real life freelance writer.

My morning has gone something like this:

  • Drop Toddler off at nursery
  • Make coffee while checking Twitter
  • Eat breakfast while checking Twitter
  • Put washing on
  • Check Twitter
  • Walk upstairs to study
  • Check Twitter
  • Arrange stationery on desk ready to do coursework
  • Walk downstairs to make another coffee
  • Check Twitter

So, what I deduced around 11am is that:

  1. I have developed an unhealthy Twitter obsession.
  2. I have a nasty habit of trying to do too many things at the same time.


Point 1, it turns out, was already suspected by Hubbie.

We spent Easter weekend in our caravan on the Dorset coast. The lack of any kind of mobile phone signal would have been bad enough, but having just discovered the amazing speed of 4G, to have it cruelly wrenched from my grasp only 10 days later was almost too much to bear. 

The 'cold turkey shakes'  were eased by paying LOTS of money for VERY little in the way of working Wifi. But, like a nicorette patch to a smoker, it was just enough to make it manageable until I could get home for my next fix.

What do I do about this unfortunate productivity-sapping Twitter obsession?


Ironically I turn to Twitter...Kill 20 minutes and can't find an answer... Only others with the same problem. But I was pleasantly surprised to find this quiz, How addicted to Twitter are you? via @oatmeal and I only scored 49% - that's not even half so I guess I don't need to be worried...Yet.

But, steps must be taken now in order to make sure things don't get more serious.

So, I've set myself 5 Twitter commandments:


  1. Thou shalt not browse Twitter while engaging in any other activity.*1
  2. Thou shalt not browse Twitter more than once in every 2 hours of productive output.*2
  3. Thou shalt not use Twitter as a reward for ticking off items from the to-do list.*3
  4. Thou shalt not leap to pick up phone whenever it vibrates in case it's a new follower/RT/favourite*Delete as applicable. *4
  5. Thou shalt be allowed dedicated chunks of time to indulge. *5


*1The one exception to this is whilst playing hide 'n' seek as discussed here. This game may be instigated purely for the purposes of gaining valuable Twitter time.

*2 This must be adhered to even if made aware of important breaking news.
(Note to self - David Moyes being sacked from Man Utd is not an excuse to check out the trends on Twitter - not least because you've never shown any interest in Man Utd in your life!)

*3 This is too open to abuses  such as including, "Check Twitter" on said to-do list.

*4 And no, "But it might be an important email" is not going to wash. Turn Twitter alerts off and move away from the phone.

 *5Ha. Try telling this to Toddler.

The time is now 12.10, and I vow to follow these rules faithfully all afternoon...After I've made a cuppa, hung the washing up and checked Twitter one last time...

Part Two: 5pm


My afternoon has gone something like this:

  • Make coffee
  • 1st draft of assignment written
  • Hoovering - this took less time than usual as I wasn't trying to read Twitter at the same time.
  • 10 whole glorious minutes spent on Twitter (uninterrupted)
  • Make coffee
  • Proof reading and revisions to assignment
  • Quick trip out to garden centre
  • Final revisions to assignment and writing of blog post
  • 10 minutes on Twitter before picking Toddler up from nursery  
  • Ensuing chaos of bath time / bed time routine

Much more successful than the morning.

And I've benefited, not only from focussing on things properly and getting them done, but the time I have spent on Twitter has been guilt free, much more enjoyable.

Win, win.

Although, I'm afraid I am unable to turn Twitter alerts off - I just can't do it! What if I miss something important?

Sure, there have been a few times when my phone has buzzed and I've had to sit on my hands, and I did give in to temptation a couple of times just after I'd been speaking to someone on the phone. But it was only a quick glance.....So that's OK isn't it?

If you have any tips for making sure your Twitter use doesn't interfere with your life I would love to hear them.

P.S. Follow me on Twitter: @weenixlen ;-)

P.P.S. Comment from Hubbie after reading a draft of this post..."There's a chance you need to do something about your caffeine addiction too!" No chance.

2 comments:

  1. Luckily I don't tend to check at home, so I get about 500 to check Monday morning ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a pretty good Monday morning to me!

      Delete